How to sniff the ether for 20$ (50-1100Mhz and 1250-2200Mhz)
1. Buy a Realtek RTL2832U with a Elonics E4000 receiver from ebay
2. Install gnuradio and its development package
3. Build RTL-SDR
4. Build latest SDR# from SVN (pre-built binaries didn't work for me on Linux)
Optionally you can use DSD to decode P25 digital broadcasts
If you're having troubles using RTL-SDR via USB in SDR# use the RTL-SDR / TCP module:
- launch rtl_tcp server by running ` rtl_tcp -a 0.0.0.0`
- Select RTL-SDR / TCP source in SDR#, click on configure and change the server ip address to the address of the machine rtl_tcp is running on (127.0.0.1 should do it if you're running both client and server on the same host)
Comments (1) Trackbacks (0) ( subscribe to comments on this post )
No trackbacks yet.
September 27th, 2012 - 16:48
# rtl_test -t
Found 1 device(s):
0: Generic RTL2832U (e.g. hama nano)
Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U (e.g. hama nano)
Found Elonics E4000 tuner
Supported gain values (14): -1.0 1.5 4.0 6.5 9.0 11.5 14.0 16.5 19.0 21.5 24.0 29.0 34.0 42.0
Benchmarking E4000 PLL…
[E4K] PLL not locked for 51000000 Hz!
[E4K] PLL not locked for 2218000000 Hz!
[E4K] PLL not locked for 1109000000 Hz!
[E4K] PLL not locked for 1266000000 Hz!
E4K range: 52 to 2217 MHz
E4K L-band gap: 1109 to 1266 MHz